Thursday, December 13, 2012

a failed bus adventure (could've, should've, didn't)

on a bus ride home last night, at about 12:30am, i was approaching my stop. i was about three stops away actually. there weren't too many people on the bus... maybe six or seven at most... i was blissfully removed from the bus atmosphere around me by my headphones. three stops before mine, a dude sitting diagonal from me goes to get up and leave. as he's leaving he drops his cell phone. it makes a THUD sound as it hits the floor. i heard it through the music blasting.

the dude stands up and briefly looks around as if he knew the THUD was caused by him but doesn't know exactly how. after his brief evaluation, he decides to make a move for the door and leave the bus. it was at this moment that i lunged for the phone on the floor underneath his seat. my intention was to grab the phone and give it to him. with my music still blasting, i blurt out, "YO! YO! YO!" (not my most brilliant or eloquent attempt at putting words together but i had a few drinks in me and it all made sense at the moment). as i'm reaching for the phone, the dude who was sitting directly behind him takes his foot and steps on the phone and brings it towards himself. i give up on my attempt at grabbing the phone. i figured with me screaming "YO! YO! YO!" the dude would turn around before exiting the bus and grab his phone from the dude who was sitting behind him.

things didn't play out how i thought they were gonna. the dude left the bus and this all happened a lot quicker than it's taken me to describe it. he's gone and the dude who was behind him is now looking at the phone. i still have my music blasting. i turn it down and turn towards the dude with the phone and say, "hey man, do the right thing and give that to the driver."

he says, "ok."

then he puts it in his pocket and gets off at the next stop (which is one more stop before mine). i was pissed. i didn't know what to do. it all happened so quick. i had made a play for the phone to do the right thing and get it back to the dude and failed. i gave up cuz i assumed the dude behind him was of the same mind to do the right thing. but he wasn't and i felt sorta shitty about the whole thing. like if i tried harder i know i could've grabbed the phone. but i backed up instantly not thinking this other dude was out to steal a phone. if i would've gotten the phone i would've ran after the dude and gave it to him. i was only seven blocks from my apartment.

for all i know, the dude who took the phone will call the rightful owner and give it back. but i doubt it. and maybe the dude who dropped it in the first place is dumb or drunk or in some way sorta guilty of not looking after his personal belongings. and maybe i should just mind my own business and let things play out how they will. all i know is i felt crappy about it. i got off at my stop and looked back down the avenue as if i'd somehow see the dude who took the phone or the dude who it belonged to. as if i'd have the words or solution after it was already too late.

i guess the lesson here is that i should've followed through on my first instinct to grab that phone. if i would've done that, i would've been able to seal the deal myself and know that the phone was returned to its rightful owner. i could've, in my own stupid, insignificant way, played the role of a minor superhero. but instead i let some douche step on the phone and keep it for himself.

the end.





No comments: