Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Naked Lunch Challenge

I just finished reading 'Naked Lunch' by William S. Burroughs. It was a book I had borrowed from a friend years ago. But I couldn't finish it. All I read was garbled up madness that I could make no sense of. I got somewhere in the 60's on the page count and threw in the towel. I told my friend I couldn't finish it and she said I could hang on to it. She said she couldn't finish either. Wow, so it wasn't just me.

That was years ago, probably at least 2-3. At the time of borrowing it, I wasn't that avid of a reader. I had just started really getting into reading. I saw the book on my bookshelf and figured that maybe at the time of reading that book, I was jumping in the deep end too soon. I was also out of books to read. So I challenged myself to read it and get through it.

I can confidently say that I still don't get 'Naked Lunch.' It makes no sense to me. I got through it but sometimes I felt like I was spiting myself. The book went on and on and, except for moments here and there, I never really enjoyed the content.

However, I do dig it's lack of form. The book doesn't follow the rules. It reads probably just like what it actually is. It reads like a free wheeling, stream of consciousness description of the creations of the imagination of a man who's been consumed by the most hard core of drugs.

The book is also viciously filthy. Which is why I think it's such a landmark book. It's contents caused such a stir that it was taken to court and put on trial. This book helped tear down walls and took part in a fight to ensure that our freedom of speech also existed in literature and art. For that, I commend it's filthiness and how it contributed to our society overall.

After all this writing, I still feel like I've done 'Naked Lunch' no justice. It's an experience and the only way you'll know about it is to do it! If you haven't read 'Naked Lunch,' step up! Take the challenge! Tell me all about it at the end of your trip.

And if you have read it, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. This book is divisive. There's only two types of people in the world, those who have read 'Naked Lunch' and those who haven't. I definitely want to hear what other people have to say.

No comments: