Thursday, September 30, 2010

Greg Giraldo - forever awesome

i was bummed to hear that one of my favorite comics died this past wednesday, greg giraldo. it was a shocker to me and i'm sure many others cuz he was only 44. he was still touring, still active, and had just released a comedy central special within the past year.

when i first learned of giraldo, it was completely accidental. my friend marylee offered to burn me a mike birbiglia album on cd (2 drink mike). when she brought me a copy of that cd, she also had burned me a copy of greg giraldo's "good day to cross a river." i listened to both and what marylee had accomplished was burning me copies of what is now 2 of my favorite stand up albums of all time.

"good day to cross a river" is such an enjoyable, hilarious, kick ass comedy album. it's smart and hilarious, brave and honest. as i watched and listened to more giraldo throughout the years after that, i learned that this was just the type of comic he was, and i was a huge fan.

there's a few comics who have inspired me heavily to give stand up comedy a try of my own. greg giraldo ranks high amongst that list.

i was looking forward to many more years of greg giraldo. unfortunately nothing's ever promised..... anyone can go at any time... that's just a shitty fact of existence.

but i'm glad that giraldo came into our existence. there was a time in my life when i thought intelligent stand up comedy died with bill hicks. but giraldo was proof that wasn't true. intelligent comedy was alive and well and giraldo was one of the torch holders. he's one of the most brilliant comics of our time, if not, all time.

later greg. thanks for the laughs.

No comments: