Friday, June 6, 2014

a company (5k) man

yesterday i found myself running with the rest of the cubicle prisoners. we were branded by our employers with t-shirts made specifically for this momentous occasion. we ran (some walked, get out of my way walkers) through parts of central park and at the end was the promise of water, bananas, and another t-shirt with the branding of, 'j. p. morgan,' the corporation behind this event, or as they entitled it, corporate challenge.

as i made my way through, i couldn't help but notice that i was surrounded by my brethren and yet felt so alone. why was that? here i am, finally surrounded by thousands of people who i share two major aspects of my life with, working in cubicles and a love for running (or walking, get out of my way walkers). but this isn't what or who i run for. i don't run for or because of my job. i run for me. doesn't everyone else? why have we decided to come together under these conditions? why do we take something we love, throw ourselves under a shirt that strips away what makes us unique, and challenge ourselves only to let our employers' brand name shine on the other side of the finish line?

when did i become this guy? i don't want your shirt. i appreciate the employment but now i'm on my time and i'd like to wear a shirt that screams, "JOSH!!" at high decibels. why did i think this would be fun? was it the free shirt? was it for the bonding that i ended up not doing? much like every other run of my life, i lost myself in my ipod and ran to my own handpicked soundtrack. that's where i wanna be when i run, lost in the middle of my own musical universe.

i don't need anyone else to run. i don't need companions, buddies, opponents, coworkers, or people that work in other office environments. this is about me and i'm selfish and demand all of it to myself. i'm not willing to share the glory. there is no team, there is only me. there are no trophies, no records, no fans in the bleachers. there is only me and my feet and the distance between then and now.


No comments: