Sunday, August 4, 2013

why i won't watch your favorite tv show

y'know that tv show you love so fucking much, the one you never shut up about and always tell me i should be watching, why don't i watch it, something must be wrong with me if i'm not watching it? yea, still not gonna watch it. this is not a you thing. i mean, it sorta is... but not 100% you. true, i have a tendency to stay away from things that people try a little too hard to push on me like the word of jehovah or candy bars for your basketball team's uniforms... but it's a little more complicated than that.

i have a pretty steady tv habit. i try not to watch a whole lot of it cuz tv scares me. i've spent many phases of my life drooling in front of a tv screen for hours and it's an appetite i'm constantly trying to curb. but there's some shit that i just HAVE to fucking watch. and the stuff i do watch probably accounts for 4-10 hours of my personal time per week. and that's only when it's not football season. so i usually think long and hard about my choices before adding another show to my schedule.

and i get it. breaking bad is awesome. everyone's saying it. and the walking dead is the shit. i also heard everyone say that. and it's not that i don't believe you, but it's just that too many people like these shows (some other examples are true blood, mad men, dr. who, and any stupid reality show... reality tv is probably worth its own separate blog post though). while there happens to be a lot of people i respect or think are cool that appreciate them, there's also a lot of people i don't respect and think are uncool who also enjoy these shows. if some of the less cool people backed off the endorsements, i'd probably throw more consideration at these shows. but i can't cuz if i sit down to watch them, i'll think, ugh, don likes this show and don's an asshole. i don't wanna enjoy the same things that asshole don enjoys (sorry asshole don, i had to take someone down in this post).

that being said, this tuesday i will make it my mission to finally watch drunk history on comedy central. why am i gonna watch drunk history instead of all these other shows ya'll want me to watch? because at this moment, no one who sucks has told me to watch it... yet. so i gotta get on this while the getting's good. it's just a matter of time before some asshole i can't stand tells me how i HAVE to watch it. it'll never stand a chance at a spot on my dvr after that. but if i can get in on it before the dinguses do, then there's no problem. all is well in my world as long as i beat them to it.


No comments: