Sunday, May 20, 2012

running, tattoos, and a lightning bolt

i got a new tattoo today. it's a lightning bolt on my calf. it's pretty fucking awesome. the reason i got it is cuz i wanted some kinda tattoo to represent running. running's a big deal to me, it's a big part of my life. getting a lightning bolt on my calf just seemed like the right amount of symbolic for me. 

i'm not trying to say i'm fast like lightning (cuz i'm not). it's just my own way of giving props to myself and showing it to the world. i'm proud of this shit. i ran 20 miles in the past two days, 10 miles a day. it took me time to get here. i used to be a sad, self loathing, twenty-something alcoholic that judged people who exercised negatively. i used to think, 'what the fuck do people exercise for? don't they know we're all gonna die?'

and i get it. i used to think that way so i know what it takes for that to sound right... for that to be part of my life philosophy. like, fuck life cuz it's gonna end eventually. fuck taking care of myself... i'm just wasting time that could be better spent on drinking.

and to write this now, it's staggering to me that i used to think like this... but i did. i was there. i remember it clearly. and now i'm not that dude anymore... i'm very fucking proud of where i am and what i've done... 

the lightning bolt is a reflection of that. it's also a reminder.. keep on going, keep pushing. i can't stop running now. i just put a permanent reminder on my body of the pride i get out of it.

also, lightning bolts are fucking cool.

anyways, this might be my last tattoo till sometime in the fall. i figure i'll be spending some part of summer in swimming pools and ocean water... i already can't do none of that till this new piece fully heals (plus it'll need touch up work). so i'm probably looking at a swimming hiatus till july. which is fine... i'm not like some super swimmer... but when the option is available, i like to take a quick dip and fully submerge myself in water and mellow out and try to float on waves. i don't wanna be the dude who can't do none of that and has to sit on the sideline while everyone else enjoys it.

that being said, i'm sure i'll be in tattoo withdrawal by september. i already have 2 solid ideas that i'm most likely gonna commit to and get done... i have a ton more floating around in my head.... maybe this will be good... gimme a little time to gather my thoughts and plan out the next few pieces i want done....

next few pieces... wow... never thought i'd say that... i was tattoo-less forever... till age 32... now i got the bug. now i want more! 

funny how things change. just keep running forward. 

No comments: