Wednesday, January 21, 2009

thanx for the free paint job but.......

Me and George left work and we decided we would hit the Rover for a few. Probably because we could use a drink to unwind from the workday, and also because Stephanie sent us texts saying she was bored at the Rover. On the way there, I stopped off at home cuz I knew FedEx left a package outside my door. (My new cell phone ya'll, which will consume most of my free time tomorrow, with the activating, the programming, and the entering of phone numbers!) I stopped in, dropped the box on my couch, and sorta sniffed out fresh paint. I thought not much of the new paint smell since my super did just paint my shower walls less than a week ago.

After the Rover, I come home and once again the smell of fresh paint hits me. Then I go to my sink and I see little bits of white paint in the sink. Then I go towards my garbage can and notice a bunch of paint chips in there. I didn't put that there. So I go back to the entrance to my apartment. It's like a 4-by-4 entrance room that leads to my kitchen on one side, and my living room on the other side. I notice that the paint on the walls is fresh. But I didn't paint this.

So apparently my super, who is the only other person who has a key to my place, came into my crib without notifying me, and painted stuff. I don't know whether I should be thankful or if I should feel violated. I think it's a little of both.

The building's been getting inspected lately by the state and the super's been running around like a mad man trying to get everything satisfactory for that. That's why he painted my bathroom and that's also why I finally have a smoke alarm.

But the final inspection, to my knowledge, was Monday. I don't know what would inspire my super to come in here, without my permission, and paint stuff. And further more, I don't think the walls of the entrance way were that bad that it would somehow have a negative influence on an inspection.

So I'm a little weirded out. The good news is there's two locks and a chain lock on my door. When I leave for the day, I only lock the one lock the super has a key for (the reason being is let's say something crazy happens like my toilet starts overflowing, he would be able to get in and stop it... sounds crazy, but it's actually happened to a dude on my floor before). But when I'm home, I use the other lock, which he doesn't have a key for, and the chain lock.

But now I don't know if I should expect other unannounced visits. I'd be a big fan of anyone who surprisingly paints my walls. But at the same time, it's a little messed up to just waltz in without at least letting me, the rent payer, know about it.

Also, I took a bunch of days off and have a 5 and 1/2 day weekend coming up, starting tomorrow at 1pm. I don't wanna be vegging out around the house only to have the super come by unannounced while I'm trying to chill out.

1 comment:

3square said...

Sorry. Won't happen again.
Hey I got a a 5 day weekend too!