Monday, August 20, 2012

there goes the neighborhood

i came home from work today like i do on most days. my buddy mario drops me off in front of the apartment building i call home. as we pulled up, we noticed cop cars and people standing around. there was also a news van and a guy out on the street with an official looking news camera. me and mario kinda have a, 'what the fuck is going on here moment.' i then exit the car and he pulls off.

as i'm walking towards my front door, i'm approached by a dude who works with homicide. he wants to ask me a few questions. what i'm about to say is silly but bear with me.... i know i've done nothing wrong. i knew the moment this dude said homicide that this is nothing i'm guilty of. however, i have this odd fear of being framed for a horrific crime, the kinda crime that would put me in jail for a long time or put me on death row. it's bad. i sympathize with celebrities on trial who are seen as guilty by the masses long before a jury gets to deliberate what will become of them. imagine being guilty of something like murder.... all of the sudden you're hated. all of the sudden everyone around you thinks you did it and you find yourself all alone knowing damn sure that you're innocent and nobody will believe you.

anyways, these are the thoughts that zip through my head in an instant as he segues from introducing himself to showing me a couple of pictures. i assume one is of the killed and one is of the suspected killer. i don't know for sure cuz they were being very vague about everything. i didn't recognize either picture. i'm a bad neighbor as is. i don't interact much with anyone on my block.

it was brief. and they never told me what was going on. i tried asking... i said, "hey, what's going on here?"

"oh, we're trying to figure that out ourselves."

i wasn't gonna push the topic any further. if someone was killed on my block, i would like to at least know. since i'm left knowing nothing for certain, i can't help but assume that there's a killer on the loose and the scene of the crime is on my block. it's kinda eerie. and while i am relieved to not be a suspect, i also hope i'm not the next to be killed.

No comments: