Sunday, September 23, 2012

these commercials will be interrupted by football

i love me some football. but every sunday when i sit down to watch a game or two, it ends up feeling more like i'm watching a marathon of commercials that is occasionally interrupted by clips of live football. i'm constantly being told to buy cars and drink beer and take pills to help my fading erection. fox is selling me iphones while cbs is telling me that something from samsung is cheaper AND better. a lot of these commercials are tailor made to be geared towards football fans. there's a lot of commercials that include fans wearing jerseys or even actual football players telling me what to spend my money on.

at the end of the day, i've memorized commercial scripts almost as well as i've memorized the names and numbers of players who do awesome things on the football field. i walk away with a few highlights stuck in my head... those awesome plays that are bound to make sportscenter's top 10 this week. but those highlights are swimming around in my head with commercial jingles that i can't stop singing to myself.

i don't like commercials on tv at all. i think the whole thing stinks. i pay a company for the right to watch this stuff in my home. stop trying to sell me stuff. someone's already making money off of me. why are those same people who are making money off of me selling time to other companies so they can try and berate me into buying stuff in the comfort of my own home? it bothers me that the nfl makes all this money at the expense of me, who apparently has nothing better to do on any given sunday than to commit 3-4 hours to each game i decide to watch.

just today i heard a certain commentator state that high ranking members of the nfl are starting to complain about the replacement refs they have and how long it's taking them to make decisions.... because that is adding time to the game and all of the sudden the addition of unnecessary time being added to the time frame of a football game is a crime. wanna shorten the actual time it takes to watch a game from beginning to end? i have a great idea. maybe one less ford commercial. enough. not only will i not be buying a ford pick up truck, but i now dislike dennis leary more than ever cuz i have to hear his voice over and over and over and over and over.

i'm sure advertising works. i'm sure there's ridiculous studies that have proven the effectiveness of advertising.  i'm probably the exception. i see the same product over and over and it makes me wanna buy anything but that product. fuck you coca cola, i'll stay away from your products out of spite. you already own a good chunk of my time on sunday, that's all you're getting out of me.

and i won't get over this. people should be pissed about this. advertisements are robbing us of our time. we're being played by the same people we pay for the pleasure to be entertained. it goes beyond tv and football games. they show us commercials at movies theaters. it costs me $12 to get inside and $5 if i want a soda (never coca cola of course). then i have to sit through honda commercials just to get to the trailers. it's bullshit. we live in a world where advertising keeps finding more avenues to get into our lives.

all i ever wanted to do was enjoy the game. this is my time... my time to chill and relax and i choose to spend it by watching a sport i'm a fan of. it sucks that my time has been sold to corporations behind my back so they can scream at me to go out and buy their shit in the comfort of my own home.

and if your counter argument is that the nfl needs to make money somehow, give me a break. coach and player salaries are inflated. they sell tickets and merchandise and that stuff is never cheap. at this point, i'd be happy if they just scaled back the amount of commercials. all these commercials that are shown during nfl games, and the way it's rubbed in our face during games (logos, logos everywhere) is nothing more than a result of their unnecessary greed.

No comments: