Thursday, February 28, 2013

this isn't a land of giants

i'm 6'7". i'm a tall dude, taller than most. my height definitely exceeds average height. and while i can't tell you exactly what average height is, i can tell you that i'm above it cuz i can see average height all around me and i have to look down to notice. anytime i'm almost able to forget how tall i am compared to mostly everyone else around me, some stranger comes up to me and with no proper introduction asks, "do you play basketball?" (the answer is no, i don't. i tried a few times in the past year. i'm pretty awful at it actually.)

i'm okay with being tall but sometimes it feels like the world's not okay with me. i live in a world that's not built for me. i don't fit anywhere. there's never enough legroom in any bus, train, plane, or automobile. i have to crouch in most basements. my feet hang off of beds. when i go to the movies, i can hear the people behind me cringe as i take my seat. at concerts, i can feel the piercing of the daggers coming from the eyes of the people standing behind me (and that sucks cuz with concerts, i wanna be close to the stage. i'm not settling for the back). i hit my head on more things than you do. it happens so frequently that i'm almost certain i've built some sorta pain tolerance. whenever i hit my head anywhere, i find myself saying, "ouch," but then thinking to myself, "wait, that didn't really hurt."

sometimes i wanna wake up to a land of giants... a whole world built for people like me. everywhere i go, there's plenty of legroom. i'm always in a position where comfort is a legit option. i wanna live in a world where i never have to crouch again to make up for buildings that were built too low for me. instead there'd be nothing but tons of space in between the top of my head and the ceilings of anywhere i go. i want nothing more than to enjoy the show without having to ruin it for someone else.

so please don't envy us tallies when you see us out and about. it's really not that great. any tally you encounter probably just hit their head on a stop sign somewhere. if anything, you should feel bad for us. maybe give us a hug... well give our legs a hug... try your best. and remember that this world is built for you. from the cribs to the caskets, we'll never fit in.



No comments: