Tuesday, May 22, 2012

sick day

who gets sick in may?

seriously, how do i catch a cold in the first month of warm weather and beach pictures showing up on my facebook news feed? i had been proud of my immune system for protecting me for most of winter.... besides a little congestion and runny nose activity here and there, i was pretty much cold free all winter. definitely didn't have anything that inspired me calling out from work.

and i hate calling out from work... especially for being sick. there was a time when my philosophy was trudge and work through the sickness and save the sick days for when you're doing something fun. but shit ain't like that anymore. i woke up so miserable, in so much need of 5-6 more hours of sleep... there was no way i was gonna tackle the commute and show up to work in any sorta mood that would be good for a person who realizes they've just stepped foot into the office they will spend the next 8 hours of their life in.

but still, i look down upon people when they call out. i don't tell them to their face or anything... but i work in the department that takes the call outs for the entire call center. i've been doing it for years. i'm so numb to people calling out sick. it's to the point where in my head i either accuse them of faking or being weak (and on a side note... for the fakers out there, stop it with the sick voice. just stop it. we're not rewarding bonus call out points for best performance. i really don't care that you're not coming into work so save the dramatics). anyways... i was definitely not faking, so that made me weak... ugh... i don't wanna be weak... but i don't wanna leave my bed either.

so i called out and didn't leave my bed till like 3pm. that's a lot of sleep. i don't know if i needed all of it but it felt pretty good to sleep so long. i hope it helps. as soon as i got up, i contemplated going for a run... cuz i'm a runner and i already took one day off and i don't wanna derail my routine... and if i go for a run, maybe that'll help me not feel like such a weakling for calling out in the first place.

much like any run, the hardest part was getting up and going. once the run began, it was on... the body fell into the motions and what was gonna be a quick run just to show my body who's boss around here turned into a 10k. it was sloppy. i probably looked like crap. but i actually felt better running than i did at any moment in the past two days. i felt in charge. my breathing was fine. my congested throat was not an obstacle. the fact that i pushed it and went farther than i originally planned made me feel pretty awesome about the whole thing. i felt in control.... cuz that's probably my least favorite part about being sick... i'm not in control of my body. my body's doing shit i don't want it to. so take that body... i took you for a run whether you wanted it or not.

so here i am..... writing this and chilling out now... waiting on some chinese food i ordered... which included the biggest container of wonton soup on the menu which i can't wait to wolf down. i feel okay.... still sorta crappy... but pretty sure i'm going to work tomorrow. this hiatus is over. i got a routine to get back to... it's full grind tomorrow... work, run, and a standup set after work.

No comments: