Sunday, August 21, 2011

running sucks

i was jogging at the park by my apartment today and there was another dude jogging in the opposite direction and he had a black shirt on that read in bright neon green letters, "RUNNING SUCKS."

and it does. there's no lie about it. i'd love to try and romanticize my jogging. but the fact is, there is a lot about it that sucks. it hurts. it wears me out. i'm a sweaty mess at the end of it. there's nothing fun about it. sure, there's the rewarding feeling when it's all over, but that's when it ends... the whole during part is just a lot of me thinking, 'i'm gonna be so glad when this is over.' and i am... but i don't know if i'm more glad that i just did something that's good for my health or just glad it's finally fucking over.

so if i can read these words, "RUNNING SUCKS," and totally agree with it, why do something that sucks?

cuz the alternative sucks worse. while i'm jogging, i know deep down that it's for the greater good. that it's good for me and my health. i work in an office at a desk. i do nothing active throughout my work day. if it wasn't for jogging, the only exercise i'd get is catching the bus back and forth. i like to snack and my diet's not the healthiest. if it wasn't for the jogging, i'd probably be an out of shape mess... the type that feels defeated after climbing a staircase. i don't wanna be that dude.

i was that dude. i was lazy. shit, i still am lazy, i'm a lazy dude who jogs. but before the jogging, all i did was a lot of nothing. i'd come home from work and most nights i did one of two things, watch tv or hit a bar. at some point i got fed up with it. it was comfortable and easy and fun, but a part of me felt like crap.

and now i don't feel crappy like that anymore. i used to feel like a fat lump. now i don't feel like that and that feels great. the only trade off to not feel like that is to dedicate a decent amount of my free time to something that outright sucks.

it's gotta suck cuz it's good for you. jogging's the asparagus of activities. it'd be too easy if this shit was enjoyable. everyone would do it and i wouldn't have to write this blog.

No comments: