Friday, January 30, 2009

crisis in kentucky

my homie kevin who lives in mayfield, kentucky just called me up to tell me that there's a power crisis in kentucky. apparently the power's out, and it's gonna be out for a long time. at first i thought, how bad could it be? but he told me of a town where everywhere you turn, you see power lines lying on the ground. dude! i couldn't imagine! he can't go to work. he's gotta worry about food. he's gotta worry about his sanity. he's just sitting around in the dark, no fuckin idea what's going on. he went out and bought a battery powered cell phone charger and then called me and asked me to go online and look into it. me, sitting here in new jersey, was able to give him the most info about the crisis that he's received so far. and it don't look good. there's not a whole lot of specifics, but apparently it's affecting several states. i went to 3 different sites that gave just about the same estimation to when the power would go back on, anywhere from this saturday to MID FUCKING FEBRUARY!! HOLY SHIIIIT!!!

kevin was in good spirits it seemed. he informed me he had some beers and a bottle of Powers, so i knew that would at least get him through the night. we joked about how in Jersey when they would say there's a bad storm coming and to brace ourselves for some ugly shit, we all just shrug it off.... nothing like that could ever happen here. so there he was in kentucky, just thinking everyone else around him was overreacting to the predictions of a power crisis. he told me he'll never underestimate southern paranoia again.

kevin, i hope they get that shit back on soon. i'm suddenly interested in the power situation in mayfield, kentucky and that'll probably be the first thing i google every time i get a chance to be on a computer.

tonight when i hear my noisy furnace, the one that usually annoys me cuz it's sooo damn loud, i'm gonna be a little less annoyed about it. tonight, when i'm warm and chillin in the crib, i'm gonna hope kevin's got enough hoodies, blankets, and whiskey to keep warm.

No comments: