Wednesday, January 2, 2013

memes make josh angry. josh smash memes.

y'know memes, those things everyone posts on facebook with some kinda picture or drawing and a clever saying on them? they bother me... a lot. well, maybe not as much as they used to. it seems i've built up a resistance to them as of late. as soon as i see a meme take shape in my line of vision, i quickly scroll onto the next thing on my facebook wall. sure, every now and then one gets my attention... and sometimes they're even quality stuff. but that doesn't matter... it's not the quality of memes that bothers me (although, if you're gonna post memes, at least come correct), it's their existence on facebook in general.

i think social networking and facebook can be whatever we want to collectively make it. facebook's only gonna be as awesome as our imaginations allow it to be. there's a ton of shit i see on a daily basis that makes me cringe and wanna swear off facebook forever (that's just tough talk of course. she knows i can't quit her), and memes are about the lowest class thing i see on facebook. they're a lower form of social networking than pictures of your meals, pets, and children. they're even lower than those passive aggressive posts you write about your ex and we all know it's about your ex but we pretend we don't know that cuz you decided to be all mysterious and not mention their name in your post.

memes in themselves are creative and memes in themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing. and if you're the creator of a meme, that might be my only exception to my disgust for memes on facebook. my real issue is that people can't think of anything original to say so they have to go and copy this thing that somebody else created and post it to their wall to share with everybody. and i think that sucks. i'd much rather read what you have to say. i'd much rather scroll through facebook and see nothing but original thoughts and statements created by you, the owner of your facebook page...not some clever meme written by someone i don't know.

and i know i'm guilty of posting a meme or two in my day. and i know this blog post makes me a giant hypocrite. some days i'm all, 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em,' and i give in. but i tell you this, i don't wanna be that dude. i don't wanna be a meme poster. and if you see me posting memes, just know that is me at my social networking weakest.

and if you're still reading this blog, i commend you. to show my appreciation, i'm suggesting homework. it's voluntary and a little crazy so it means you probably won't do it. but if you're up for it, think of something original to say... it can be about anything... anything at all. take that original thought, and put it on facebook. there are no wrong answers (however, if it's something racist, i will unfriend you).

ps:

don't even get me started on poking.

No comments: