Tuesday, December 11, 2012

kids think my tattoos are cool

when it comes to my tattoos, i usually get the most positive feedback from kids, which is kinda awesome. when some kid catches one of my pieces and says, "cool!" i feel awesome... like a saturday morning cartoon hero or something. what's cooler than being cool to kids? being cool in the eyes of adults is boring and overrated.

it's odd cuz i don't see myself as a kid person. i don't really wanna have any of my own. and beyond high fives and letting them beat the crap out of me, i don't know how to relate to them at all. my initial assumption when around children is that they'll hate me cuz i'm just not that into them... and last i heard they love attention and i hate giving attention so it's a total mismatch from the get go. so i guess there's something about a kid thinking anything about me at all as 'cool' as some sort of small victory in life.

and even though i find myself as sorta anti-kid.... i know it's the more youthful side of me that got tattoos and wants to get more. it's definitely not the grown up, boring side of me that's worried about a world that's constantly judging me. tattoos are me putting stuff on my skin that i think is awesome and not giving a shit what the world has to say about it. it's pretty empowering stuff. and no matter how much i change in life.... if i ever become a total curmudgeon and pessimistic basket case, i'll always be able to look at the tattoos and know that at one time i was semi-daring and had fun.

kids never go up to dudes in business suits and say, "whoa, cool suit." why? cuz business suits are lame. and yet we all keep wearing them for some reason even though this is something we could all easily agree on. every time a kid calls one of my tattoos cool, it almost makes me resent the unspoken agreements we all made in this growing up business to be lame and boring and as unfun as possible. i'm almost certain that if there's nothing a kid thinks is cool about you, that you're ultimately losing in life.

or maybe i'm just overdoing it in defending my right to be an immature jackass for what is probably all of my foreseeable future... either way, i'm happy.

No comments: