Wednesday, December 7, 2011

go to your room

that's what i used to do in my younger days when i needed sanctuary. usually i'd hang around by myself listening to music. this was my getaway. this was my fortress of solitude. if the world couldn't find me, that'd be alright... i had sublime and red hot chili peppers to keep me company.

i miss that part of being young... the simplicity of laying around my room and listening to music and nothing else... not multitasking it with everything else.... not only listening to music on the go through headphones as i go about the business of an average day in my life.

i just wanna lay around and listen to records. is that so wrong?

i wanna ignore the world around me for a while.... ignore the cell phone, and the facebook, and the ever growing to-do list that will keep on growing larger if i don't start getting to it. sorry cats, sorry friends, sorry family, sorry girlfriend.... you'll all have to fend for yourselves for a few hours. i'm sure you'll do fine without me. and besides, you'll have a new and improved, refreshed and rebooted josh if i could just allow myself the simple fucking pleasure of laying around my bedroom and listening to records... and THAT'S IT! nothing more, nothing less....

i need to hear new shit i don't know about. i need to hear old shit that i know by heart. i need to dance and thrash and play my air guitar and scream lyrics in my tone def style all by myself. i need to invite myself to this 1 person listening party..... elite vip list... you're not on it, can't get on it... but you should probably go and throw your own awesome 1 person listening party in your room.

when did listening to music stop being enough for me? when did it become another thing that had to be multitasked and thrown into the mix with everything else? i love music and lately i've abused it. i haven't appreciated music for what it is on its own.

if you can't find me and see no trace of me for a minute, don't be too concerned. just hope that i've finally done the right thing.... shut the rest of the world off for a bit so i can go to my room and listen to music.



No comments: